Microbiology is the segment of science that deals in the study of microorganisms and the effects of diseases that they produce. Microbiology gets into the details of the shape, structure, genetic and metabolic processes in microscopic and sub-microscopic organisms.
The program leading to a Master of Science degree in microbiology is designed to provide you with basic knowledge of this field, to permit you to acquire technical competence in the fundamentals of research and to foster creative and independent thinking. Two calendar years or more are generally needed for the completion of an original thesis.
The Master degree from well-known universities is designed to give students advanced coursework in microbiology and an in-depth introduction to microbiology research. Students are expected to design and execute original research projects using traditional and advanced research technologies. The universities strive to provide each Master’s student with broad knowledge microbiology and in depth knowledge in their area of specialization such that they can enter the workforce as professional microbiologists or continue their academic training in advanced graduate or professional programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to design experiments with appropriate controls, and to conduct original research.
- Demonstrate proficiency with a variety of classical and modern microbiology techniques. Read, understand and evaluate current literature in their discipline.
- Research results and interpretations of those results should be clearly presented both orally and in written works.
- Develop awareness and perspective as a member of a local, national and global scientific community.
- Compete successfully for productive employment or enter advanced degree programs in microbiology or health-related fields.
Two main branches of microbiology are bacteriology and virology (which deals with the study of viruses and diseases), while other sub-disciplines include: immunology, biotechnology, industrial microbiology, public health microbiology, environment microbiology and genetic engineering? One of the most dynamic fields of modern microbiology.
Students will have the chance to study topics such as: genetics of microbiology, general virology, microbial pathogens, infectious diseases, general parasitology and microbial ecology. Apart from understanding scientific processes and methods, students will develop skills in using and interpreting statistics and will be able critically analyse information.
After graduating with a BSc degree, you must do a Master’s from a reputed institution. A good institution gives you an opportunity to learn more and at the same time they have well stocked library which provides books for reading. After completion, there is a placement assistance team who will guide you through the placement stages.